City Tours & Getaways
The Mexico City Architecture Tour
- Type of tour: City Tour
- Location: Mexico City
- Duration: Approximately 6 hours
- Mode of Transportation: VW Beetle convertible with a guide & driver
- Places Visited: Casa Luis Barragán & various buildings & neighborhoods across the city
- Availability: Everyday
- Price per person (in USD): $130.00
Initially influenced by colonial Spanish and French architecture, Mexico City later developed its own style often drawing on its rich pre-Colombian heritage. The city has grown at an astonishing pace over the last century: from a population of just 240,000 in the mid-1850's it now numbers some 24 million people and is a fascinating patchwork of neighborhoods and architectural styles.
As we make our way across “town” during this one-day trip we will have you discover the city’s colonial past, the villages that were absorbed as it mushroomed, the effects of the devastating 1985 earthquake, the current construction boom and the young architects who are shaping the city of tomorrow. A journey into a one of the world's largest and most architecturally most diverse cities !
Tour begins at 10:00 AM. Hotel pick-ups are schedule between 9:30 AM and 10:00 AM depending on your hotel's location and traffic conditions. Please be in your hotel lobby 10 minutes before your scheduled pick-up time.
- Visit of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) main campus and its various buildings and murals which are classified as a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO
- Tour of the San Angel neighborhood with a stop at Diego River and Frida Kahlo's residence
- Tour of the Roma and Condesa neighborhoods where you will get to see a variety of building such as French and Spanish colonial constructions, Art Deco facades and some leftover ruins of the 1985 earthquake
- Visit of some the City's latest built constructions such as the Soumaya Museum and the many skyscrapers under construction in the Polanco neighborhood and along the Paseo de La Reforma
- Visit of the City's historic center
- Vist of Luis Barragán's house and studio (optional, upon request only)
What does the tour include?
Your tour includes:
- Transportation in a Beetle convertible
- Your driver & guide during the 6-hour tour
- Bottled water & a healthy snack
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off
Not included in your tour are:
- Meals* aside from your snack
- Entrance fee to the Casa/Estudio Luis Barragán (optional)
- Purchases you may choose to make along the way
- Gratuities you may choose to give at your discretion
* Please note that this particular tour does not include any meal other than a healthy snack prepared for you in advance. Although a lunch break is scheduled during the tour, you remain free to choose whether you want to eat in a formal restaurant, eatery or one of the city's numerous and delicious food stands. We will gladly provide you with suggestions and share our favorite places, but believe our guests should remain free to choose their preferred lunch stop. Unlike many tour operators, The Traveling Beetle does not endorse any particular restaurant nor do we have any financial agreement to draw our guests to a particular venue.
Rates & Conditions
- Shared tour: $130.00 per person (minimum of 2 people)
- Private tour: $145.00 per person (minimum of 2 people)
- Solo passenger tour: $245.00 per person